Posted on behalf of the Toronto Leaside Girls Hockey Association
The Toronto Leaside Girls Hockey Association started this program in 2012 to help with the development of players from countries with emerging national hockey programs. The program includes the billeting of international players seeking a training opportunity in Canada, play regular season games in the Ontario Women’s Hockey League and possible team tournaments in the USA.
With approval and support from the IIHF, Hockey Canada, the OWHA and the NZIHF we have created a formula here in Leaside that has seen very positive development and great reviews from the players, their parents and coaches.
The Leaside mandate is to:
- Find placement for international players under the age of 18 on our Wildcats Midget teams – ages 15 to 17, as we prefer to place players who are mature enough to be away from home 6 – 8 weeks but are still minors. This placement takes place from late November through to end of January. Billeting, team trainings, games and other hockey development are all part of the program.
- While Leaside do have 2 senior teams, this falls outside the role of this development program, which is focused on minor hockey. However, if space is available on the senior team/s TLGHA is willing to facilitate the roistering of an over-18 player, BUT that players is responsible for her own accommodation, training and travel. (TLGHA may be able to help arrange accommodation).
You the player pay for:
- ITC Card – approximately: $300 Under 18 years, approximately: $1000 18 and over
- Personal Insurance
- Personal spending Money
- Any additional training not covered by the team
- Selected players to sign “Expectations for International Players Billeting in Toronto” form
Leaside, OWHA to provide:
- Billet Family (Police Checks undertaken)
- Lodging, food, travel to and from practice and games
- TLGHA will organize and process the transfer – ITC
- TLGHA will pay for:
- Hockey Canada Registration Fees,
- OWHA Registration Fees
- HC Player Insurance
- Associated Regular Trainings/Game costs
- Team Jersey’s and Socks
- Weekly Schedules Supplied
Find out more information / submit your expression of interest by completing the below form:
Applications are now closed.