From 1-15 August, a team of U18 girls from the Toronto/Leaside club were hosted by a number of hockey families.
They followed a very compressed timetable including:
- games in Christchurch against women’s league teams
- activities in Christchurch including a Great Race, “fashion
show”, marae visit and Antarctic Centre visit
- participation in the Southern Cross tournament (Tekapo)
- entertainment in Queenstown including skiing, paragliding,
cruises, jetboating, luging,
- entertainment in Gore including horse riding, farm visits and
- a 3-game series against NZU18 in Gore
enormous thank you to the families who sizzled sausages, bought raffle tickets,
billeted, played against, loaned gear to, drove, cooked for, entertained,
worked at or organised the games or otherwise assisted these visitors. The
Leaside club has been hosting NZ girls for the last 6 years over our summer
months and the opportunity to reciprocate their generosity was a chance too
good to miss. The feedback from the Leaside club has been overwhelmingly
positive and the warmth of their reception in the south has gone a long way to
facilitate the exchange of players and enhance the exchange of ideas.
are also appreciative of the support for the enterprise from the Mataura Licensing Trust, Lions Foundation and the The Southern Trust.
The game sheets from the games are attached.